President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is one of the most talked-about president in Philippine history. He is the first president to come from Mindanao and several controversies surrounded him from being a foul-mouthed character, iron fist ruling, to alleged extrajudicial killings.
But despite these controversies, and criticism from his political foes, he performed well during his first year as leader of Philippines. He proved to be a man of his words.
Here is a list of some of the notable things achieved by the Duterte administration for his first year:
- P82.5-B worth of illegal drugs seized
- 63,926 Anti-Drug operations conducted
- 86,933 drug personalities arrested
- 1,308,078 drug users and pushers surrendered
- 3,200 drug personalities who died in anti-drug operation
- 300 government workers arrested in Anti-Drug Operations (142 government employees, 135 elected officials and 23 uniformed personnel)
- 159 dismantled dens and clandestine laboratories
- Crime rate down
- 82% of Metro Manila residents feel safer because of war against illegal drugs
- Releasing the names of hundreds of public officials allegedly involved in illegal drugs
- Mega Drug Abuse Treatment and Rehabilitation Center in Nueva Ecija built
- To prevent drug trade inside the Bilibid Prison, PNP Special Action Forces (SAF) deployed to guard the national penitentiary
- President Rodrigo Duterte signed executive order No. 6 on October 14, 2016 which institutionalized the 8888 Citizen’s Complaint Hotline and Complaint Center
- 911 National Emergency Hotline launched nationwide
- Implementing Freedom of Information in the Executive Branch
- Duterte secured some $35-B in trade and aid privileges from his visit in other countries (21 trips, 17 countries)
- Increasing the rates of Combat Duty Pay and Combant Incentive pay of the AFP and extending the same allowances to the PNP
- Providing for the establishment and support of drug abuse treatment and rehabilitation centers throughout the Philippines
- Forming Bangsamoro Transition Commission
- Peace talks with NDF-CPP-NPA
- Strengthening the fight against illegal gambling
- Changing the name of Benham Rise to Philippine Rise
- Implementing Smoking Ban in public places nationwide
- Free Irrigation for farmers
- Implementation of firecrackers ban
- Establishing One-Stop Service Center for OFWs (OSSCO) in 15 provinces
- Manila International Container Port surpasses revenue target and was able to collect 3.7% more
- 10-point socio-economic agenda presented to business groups
- 17 major projects approved by NEDA
- Bureau of Internal revenue begins simplification of the processing tax clearances and certificates to 3 to 5 days. Also added other payment options to encourage tax payment
- DOLE offered package of services to Filipino workers repatriated under the Saudi amnesty program
- Government sets up P1-B fund to end the 5-6 money lending system
- No travel tax, terminal fees for Overseas Filipino Workers
- Establishing premium airport bus service
- No reports of infamous ‘laglag bala’ since start of Duterte administration
- 3-day maximum processing time for Maritime Industry Authority applications implemented
- Trust ratings of the people to the soldiers reached 75% (highest since 1988)
- Several members of Abu Sayyaf surrendered to the military
- Maute Terrorist Group death toll reached 429
- Duterte allocated P20-B to rehabilitate Marawi City
- No human rights abuses reported under Mindanao martial law
- Philippines received P590-M worth of military equipment from China to help in fight the ISIS-inspired terrorist
- Free tuition fee in all state universities and colleges
- DOLE to open bank for Overseas Filipino Workers
- Duterte gives P100-M to benefit Philippine General Hospital (PGH) patients
- Duterte allocated P2-B to provide free medicine for the poor families
- Government gives P500-M for state-of-the-art military equipment and a new building for the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) medical center
- Duterte allocates P2-B for the victims of magnitude 6.7 earthquake in Surigao Del Norte
- Philippines ranked as 10th fastest growing economy in the world
- Duterte still enjoying high trust ratings
- DepEd, Korea ink MOA to teach Filipino high school students of Korean language
- Ordered 23 mining companies to stop their operation
- Miss Universe Pageant held in the Philippines
- Tourist arrivals increased
- Half of 8,000 target Yolanda families transferred to their new homes in Tacloban
- PAGCOR reveals 17 percent increase in gaming revenues
What some senators have to say
While these achievements show the Duterte administration’s good performance, expressions of disappointment and criticism were thrown from opposition. Among them are Senators Antonio Trillanes IV, Risa Hontiveros, and Liela De Lima.
She said that 2017 ‘is a year of national grieving’ because of the alleged extrajudicial killings committed by the current administration against criminals.
In addition, Senator Leila De Lima labeled President Duterte’s first year in office as full of lies and fake news.
“Isang taong mga kasinungalingan. Isang taong panggigipit. Isang taong pagmumura at pambabastos. Isang taong mga pangakong napako. Lalo na yung mga kasinungalingan. Fake cases. Lalo na itong mga paratang sa akin. Fake cases, fake news,” she said.
Translation: A year of lies. A year of pressure. A year of invective and harrasment. A year of unfulfilled promises. Especially the lies. Fake cases. Especially these allegations against me. Fake cases, fake news.
Recently, Senator Trillanes also thrown critical remarks to the administration in a BBC Hardtalk interview with Stephen Sackur.
Nevertheless, others, like Senate President Koko Pimentel and Senator Tito Sotto gave the president a high grade of 8.5/10 and 8/10, respectively.
Source: Pinoy Trending News PH
BayanMall Online Shopping. Malayo ka man, kapiling pa rin.
To receive updates and notifications regarding promos like free delivery and discounts from BayanMall Online Shopping, just register at our website and subscribe to our newsletter. It’s easy! CLICK HERE to register.